Discerning hooks, help, or heresy
On Friday afternoon, Congress approved the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, an economic relief plan for individuals and businesses. The implications of the stimulus bill are being rapidly interpreted by experts. Although designed for employers of all sizes, we know that an infusion of money will not help us discover the new normal.
While the headlines and talking heads are reporting very real and painful losses, companies in our network continue to share positive stories of unexpected wins and testimonies of God’s provision and grace.
What we’ve found is that the biggest winners are not necessarily the biggest players.
C12 Member company Camp Gladiator operates a nationwide group outdoor fitness program and equipped all 1,000 trainers to conduct live virtual workouts. With social distancing and shelter-in-place orders in most markets, they are staying mission true by continuing to promote healthy living while their customers are restricted to their homes.
Another C12 Member, Chad Epperson, Owner/CEO of United Treating & Distribution, took the opportunity in the midst of dire circumstances to declare to a network of thousands of industry leaders throughout North America, where he places his hope and how he and his company are responding. In his e-letter, he writes,
“One of our core values is ‘Thankfulness – Be thankful in every situation and bless others.’ … God is not surprised or unconcerned by the events that are happening in our world today. We remain faithful in knowing that God is in control, and our hope is in Jesus Christ. We are standing in hope, not fear, for we know faith produces endurance. We can endure this trial together and find the good in this situation.”
This week, C12 CEO Mike Sharrow helps us clear the fog to rightly view the circumstances and opportunities ahead. Hear the stories from our community, and be inspired.
Resources & Guidance for COVID-19
Resources to Act:
- C12 COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Tool – Equipping companies to strategically plan and prosper during this season of uncertainty
- Contracts & Liability – Assess new risk points and considerations in existing and new contracts
- Creative Business Funding – Have a B-Corp or true #BaaM type business? It’s possible DAF or other continuity financing options might be feasible using impact financing
- Necessary Endings – C12 curriculum excerpt (February 2019) about discerning when to end something
- Applying Lean Principles – C12 curriculum excerpt (August 2017)
- No Margin, No Mission – C12 Curriculum excerpt (April 2017)
- Leading Change Effectively – C12 Curriculum excerpt (November 2019) about change management
- The Innovation Imperative – C12 curriculum excerpt (January 2019)
- Practical Compassion – C12 curriculum excerpt (March 2020)
- A Word of Encouragement from C12’s Founder – C12 curriculum excerpt (July 2017)
- “Chaplains come to employees’ aid” by The Christian Science Monitor, “The ROI of Good Business-Ministry” by Faith Driven Entrepreneur, and A #SHRM19 Interview with Marketplace Chaplains – Thousands of companies have engaged workplace chaplaincy, with greater opportunity for impact even remotely!
- 19 simple ways to love your neighbor right now – Practical ways to show Christ’s love
- Leading Through Crisis – Communication and priority action tool developed by a C12 Member in South Carolina
- The Most Important Hour – The stakes are too high and you’re too busy not to hear from the King of the universe! Set a recurring meeting with the true Owner of your business, especially during this stormy season.
- 8 Best Practices for Virtual Care – Visual with practices that show you care by Marketplace Chaplains
- Financial relief for small businesses – A congressional committee summary of relief intentions for small businesses
- US Chamber of Commerce Small Business Webinar Overview – Summary of the 3/27/20 webinar hosted by the US Chamber on new federal programs and small businesses.
- Summary of CARES Act – Summary of the law passed on 3/27 for $2T in unprecedented relief, stimulus, and recovery programs
Insight & Analysis:
- Sector and Scenario Rebound Outlook Strategies – McKinsey’s latest report on scenarios, sectors, and how to be a resilient player in 2020-2021
- Charitable Giving – Recent relief bills dramatically change possibilities for approaching generosity in strategic ways
- Labor Law – For Employers >500 FTE, CARES Act has significant implications to know before engaging loan programs
- Remaining agile while remote – Important cadence factors for newly remote/virtual teams
- Leading Through A Crisis – Craig Groeschel speaks to leaders about mindset, priorities, and messaging clarity.
- These are NOT Unprecedented Times – Simon Sinek casts for his own team to reimagine the future, pivot, and clarify calling.
- Deficient by Design – C12 video about how God’s delight in “Red Sea moments” and His purpose in the waiting.
- Adjust the Sails – C12 video about how trusting God is not a passive play, it’s about active faith in aligning with His will.
- Helping feed those in need – Article about two C12 Member companies that partnered up to convert a downturn into a community impact play
- The Unexpected Gifts – Video by C12 Member in Nashville who shares how COVID-19 has proven to be the source of “unexpected gifts”
- COVID-19 Executive Briefing Series 2 – Distributed March 26th
- COVID-19 Executive Briefing Series 1 – Distributed March 20th
- Clarity Over Comfort – Article by C12 Member Erik Reagan of Focus Labs about communication during crisis
Crises can create opportunity and competition, but the bond between the business leaders in C12 Peer Advisory Groups strengthens their resiliency by working together to find solutions.
Sign-up here for these weekly updates.